Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Natural Horsemanship Clinic

After DD's rodeo Friday night they had a guest clinician come and give a demonstration on natural horsemanship with her horse. I'm sorry to say that I do not remember what her name is...*crickets chirping*...Not my strong suit, sorry! I do know that she said she broke her back 8 weeks ago while judging and a kid on an out of control horse t-boned her and her horse Maggie. Luckily Maggie was not injured and she is finally on the mend from her injury, I sure feel her pain!

So Maggie had not been messed with since her accident but she brought her and used her for her bridleless demonstration. She was very interesting and Maggie was not on her best behavior...when she was let into the arena she took off running and wouldn't came as the lady called her LOL! BUT as soon as Maggie made eye contact with her she would come! Very cool!

So she used DD and her cousin to help with her laying the horse down and mounting demonstration. The kids thought this was SUPER cool!












































7 comments:

  1. Fun! The smile on DD's face says it all =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your horsemanship clinic pics, such a neat thing for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love that smile... I know that smile, it's when everything goes just right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, dumb question: how do they get the horse down? I have never seen it done, other than forcefully (not pretty).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah~ The clinician starts the training with a rope right under their fetlock after they have mastered the training with the rope they can do it simply by lifting their foot but they obviously have special techniques when training them to do this because they don't want the horse laying down everytime they go to clean their feet LOL! I have seen it done many times and always with this same method which allows the horse to extend their other leg while laying down so it is fairly gentle on them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks fantastic. I have often wanted to sit on Max's back when he was asleep in the field and hold onto his mane while he got up, but I never had the nerve. That looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way cool! Glad they got to experience that, the expressions on their faces must have been priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Wordle: AMD